*******************

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Secondhand Worship

Tonight, as I sat in my room, I decided to go on to youtube.com and listen to some of my favorite Christian Artists and watch some of their videos. I listened to artists like Natalie Grant and Kari Jobe. I saw a post that had Kari Jobe speaking on the subject of "worship". Now, if you know me at all, you will know that worship is something I am passionate about. I believe with my entire being that the calling God put on my life is to help lead others into genuine, authentic, beautiful worship. Wow, as I typed that last sentence, I was convicted with the question "well, then why aren't you pursuing it with your entire being?"...ouch, I just stepped on my own toes...is that possible? That will have to be addressed in another blog...after I talk to God in detail about that one! I don't have a good answer, therefore, I believe God is trying to make a point and show me that leading worship IS MY CALLING! I need to stop searching...that is what I am supposed to do!

Anyway, back on track - if that is even possible! Back to Worship. My most favorite subject ever! Worship doesn't only exist on the platform of a church or the stage of a concert. It starts in the heart. Worship should be cultivated in your own personal relationship with God. It starts in the quiet of your moments with God. It grows and matures each time you meet with God. In order to help lead others into an authentic, pure, beautiful, genuine worship...you must be a worshipper in the quiet place...in that place between you and God. You cannot lead others to enter into the realm of worship if you have never been there before.


I heard a really cool analogy regarding something we experience most these days, unfortunately. It is called secondhand worship. You know, similar to the second hand stores, or the gently used clothing stores. A lot of times, myself included, we will rush to get ready on Sunday morning and basically run into church maybe a minute or two late. You can hear the music playing, and maybe you have already missed a song. So, you slip in. You stand with everyone else...and you wait. You see the worship leader pouring their heart our in worship. You see others joining in. Some have joined in more enthusiastically with their hands raised and swaying back and forth. Some are more reserved with maybe their hands closed together over their hearts, singing to the Lord. Then there are a few, mouthing the lyrics, not singing out, maybe arms are folded. There are some who aren't moved by music and worship at all. Now, you are somewhere in the middle. You may not be as enthusiastic as the one who raises their hands, but you most certainly are moved by worship in music. So, while you wait to "be blessed", you take on the worship that has been handed down from those who are experiencing true, authentic, blessed, genuine, personal worship. You adapt what they have experienced and taken it on as your own worship. It seems to fit right, it is comfortable, and has been gently used. Second hand worship.



Here is the truth about worship. You don't have to wait until Sunday morning service at your church to be able to experience it. We serve a God who lives in our hearts and instead of having to get our worship from other people, we can get it first from God. We can be refueled daily. The very moment you sit down in your spirit, asking God to meet with you, He will meet with you!! We need to guard our worship. It is such a precious time between your Maker and you. It is a personal time of reflection on who God is and the promises He has made. We need to seek after God. We need to worship Him in our quiet place. God promises this...if you give him the first of who you are, He will give you the first of Who He is! Don't settle for someone elses worship. Be clothed in your own authentic, personal worship with your God.



God will meet you right where you are right at this very moment. All you have to do is ask. Create space for God. Be filled with His presence. Seek Him in the quiet, personal time. When we seek God and worship Him in the quiet place, we can minister from the overflow of our hearts!



Isaiah 55:6-7 MSG "Seek God while he's here to be found, pray to him while he's close at hand. Let the wicked abandon their way of life and the evil their way of thinking. Let them come back to God, who is merciful, come back to our God, who is lavish with forgiveness."

Psalm 2:10b MSG "Worship God in adoring embrace..."

No comments:

Post a Comment