*******************

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Power of Praise

I thank You for the bitter things
They've been a friend to grace,
They've driven me from the paths
   of ease
To storm the secret place.

-Florence White Willett



I am learning more and more lately that through each difficulty I face, big or small, is an opportunity to see God work. In God's time, He will bring me out to a place of abundance. Each trial that I face has been used in a way to humble me and help perfect my faith.

There is a really beautiful song sung by the Christian group Casting Crowns called "Praise You In The Storm". The very first time I heard it I wasn't in a good place spiritually or mentally. I remember thinking..."yeah, some may be able to praise God through their storm, but not me...my pain is too great...I am angry, hurt, annoyed, bitter, and utterly disgusted at even the sight of anything Christ-centered"  (Just keeping it real! Sometimes the things we think and say to ourselves isn't always pretty or appropriate) I was convinced that my pain was so great and so unique (very selfish) and no one could possibly know how I feel. I didn't want to praise God through my storm. No way! If anything, I was angry with God for putting me through a storm at all. Why would such a supposedly "loving" God allow things to happen in my life that caused such pain and suffering? Why?

While I was going through my supposedly "unique and no one else could ever understand or relate to me" storm, I was living with a dear friend of mine who was also facing her own storm. I was way too selfish to try to help her in any way. What is the saying, you can't save someone else from drowning, when you are drowning yourself. I can't remember exactly how that goes, but you get the idea. Well, even through that situation of watching my friend's marriage crumble in front of both of us, it affected us both so incredibly differently. You see, my dear friend chose to praise God through her storm. She chose to put God first, praise Him through the pain of her situation, and in return God sustained her. Her storm was so big, HUGE in fact, but her God was much much bigger. Even though I wanted nothing to do with anything Christian, her dedication to Christ and unwaivering faith spoke volumes to me. I will always remember her faithfulness. Even to this day, she remains faithful and has been so incredibly blessed by God. It's so awesome to see.


I, on the other hand, chose not to praise God through my storms. I did the opposite. In many ways, through the way I lived and my choice to shut God out and anyone else who may have tried to point me to God, I cursed God. Because of that choice, God was silent. Don't misunderstand, though. God never left my side. He was always faithful to me. His love for me never changed, never waivered. He was always just one prayer of repentance away from rescuing me. You see, God doesn't force Himself on us. That is why we have what is called a free will.

The point of this post is simple. When we praise God through our storms, through our difficult circumstances, through our hopeless situations, He will sustain us and provide the strength we need in order to get through those storms. He also promises to work all those things together for our good. When we depend on God's sovereignty to hold us up in our difficult times, we become stronger in our faith. Our praise begins to mature and grow into a strong, unwaivering, and beautiful song.


Now, if you are in the place of silence...a place I spent about 7-8 years at...if you are bitter and angry; if you scoff at the thought of praising God through your circumstance...I want you to know this: YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Even though you are angry, even though you cannot understand why God would let things happen, even if you want nothing to do with God...GOD LOVES YOU!! His love isn't conditional. His love is faithful, unwaivering, and available to you at any time. He loves you right now at the very place you are at right now. You are one prayer away from reconciliation.

I am still learning to praise God through my storm. It becomes a lot easier the more you practice it! It is worth every tear, every heartache, every pain...because God can be glorified through every single trial we face. We are also more equipped to help others while they face their storms.


 I John 4:11-12
"Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another...if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us."

1 comment: