*******************

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Great Expectations...

We all have either spoken or unspoken expectations of other people...those expectations may even be subconscious...and the person with whom we expect certain attainable or unattainable things may or may not have any idea of it! I think sometimes we put someone on a high pedestal, whether spiritual or professional, making it almost impossible for that person to be who they really are...or even worse, when we find that they may not be that "spiritual giant" that we so graciously labeled them to be, we become disappointed with them or even in some cases angry with them.

Psalm 62:5 says this, "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him." God already knew that we would put unattainable expectations on other people, and even upon ourselves. He wants us to be patient (which I am sooooo not), to wait upon Him...and He gives us permission to have expectations of Him. For instance, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God made a way for me to move to NYC. I know that He has a plan for me here. Do I know the exact plan? No! That's where the patient aspect comes in...you know, the part I am really not that great at! So, I am waiting for whatever He has for me to unfold, and I believe it has already revealed itself here and there. I am waiting for God to help me find a job...now this doesn't mean that I am just sitting here twiddling my thumbs expecting God to drop an amazing job out from the heavens and that I will hear angel voices singing "hallelujah" when it happens...however, it would be so much easier that way! I am working hard at putting out my resume, contacting places that are hiring, and making sure I am putting myself out there! So, I am doing my part and just waiting for God to complete it. That is where my expectation comes from. God says if we are seeking Him, He promises that He will provide for us and give us the desires of our heart.

If you are like me and you find yourself placing unnecessary and unfair expectations upon other people or upon yourself...try to remember Ps. 62:5 and instead reroute that expectation to God. He is big enough to handle any expectations that we may have in this life.

1 comment:

  1. " God says if we are seeking Him, He promises that He will provide for us and give us the desires of our heart." - I have always found that when I am seeking him, he fills my heart with his desires... it's like a mobis strip! Love you! Praying you get that phonecall today.

    ReplyDelete